Saturday 4 October 2014

Subversion is here to stay

So the cool kids are all using git? When did that happen? Pah, I would be willing to bet that most of them don't even know why they're using it other than it seems that everyone else is using it these days.
Don't get me wrong, I think distributed version control systems are good for all sorts of reasons, but this blog is about the centralised version control system called subversion (svn for short) that is still used by an awful lot of development teams and which, in the right hands, provides an extremely powerful and feature-rich toolset for all of your versioning needs.
Over the last 10 years or so I have used svn in my day-to-day work on an almost daily basis and so I'd like to pass on some of the stuff I've learnt along the way. I've used it in a very wide range of scenarios, all the way from the very simple use cases of a single branch with a few files in a small repository to scenarios involving multiple branches and merging in humungous repositories with many developers working on different branches simultaneously.

In this blog I'll start off with walking through a few simple scenarios and hopefully build up a library of usefulness for the svn user looking for help. Who know where it'll go. Be patient and thankyou for joining me on the journey...


No comments:

Post a Comment